We do collect some technical information when you visit to make your visit seamless. The section below explains how we handle and collect technical information when you visit our website.
Information Collected and Stored Automatically
When you click a Go.USA.gov link, we automatically gather and store certain technical information about your click through. This information never identifies who you are. The information we collect and store about your click through is listed below:
- The referring Internet domain (for example, Twitter, Facebook, Identi.ca, etc.) from which you accessed the link; and,
- The date and time you clicked the link.
This information is only used to help us make Go.USA.gov more useful for government web managers and government social media experts. We never track or record information about individuals.
When registered users shorten a URL, we automatically store your Go.USA.gov user name, the long URL, short URL, and the date and time it was shortened. This information is only visible to registered users.
When you visit some websites, their web servers generate pieces of information known as cookies. Some cookies collect personal information to recognize your computer in the future.
Go.USA.gov uses per-session cookies in order to keep an authorized user signed in to the URL shortener.
If You Send Us Personal Information
We do not collect personal information for any purpose other than to issue and maintain your login ID and to respond to you if you contact us with questions or problems. If you choose to provide us with personal information—like your e-mail address and name—we use that information to respond to your message, and to help get you the information you’ve requested. We only share the information you give us as required by law.
Go.USA.gov never collects information or creates individual profiles for commercial marketing.
While you must provide an e-mail address and name for Go.USA.gov to respond to your question, we recommend that you NOT include any other personal information, especially Social Security numbers. The Social Security Administration offers additional guidance on sharing your Social Security number.
For site security purposes and to ensure that this service remains available to all users, this government computer system uses commercial software programs to monitor network traffic to identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, or otherwise cause damage.
- Except for authorized law enforcement investigations, no other attempts are made to identify individual users or their usage habits. Raw data logs are used for no other purposes.
- Unauthorized attempts to upload information or change information on this service are strictly prohibited and may be punishable under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act of 1986 and the National Information Infrastructure Protection Act.
Go.USA.gov Linking Policy
Go.USA.gov creates short URLs out of any .gov, .mil, .fed.us, .si.edu, or .state.xx.us URL that a government user has shortened. Go.USA.gov provides these links as a service to our users. Some shortened URLs may become obsolete in the future. Go.USA.gov will maintain a database of the original URL and its shortened key but cannot verify the availability of the shortened URL when the original URL has been removed, changed, or altered by the URL owner.
Go.USA.gov reserves the right to remove any shortened link that contains misleading information or unsubstantiated claims, or is determined to be in conflict with USA.gov’s (Go.USA.gov’s sponsoring organization) mission or policies.
Disclaimer of Endorsement
The shortened URL in the Go.USA.gov database website includes hypertext links or pointers to information created and maintained by other public organizations. USA.gov provides these links and pointers solely for our citizen information and convenience. When clicking on a shortened URL, users are selecting a link to a non USA.gov website; they are leaving the USA.gov site and are subject to the privacy and security policies of that government website.
- The General Services Administration (GSA), USA.gov, and Go.USA.gov do not control or guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of information contained on a linked website.
- GSA, USA.gov, and Go.USA.gov do not endorse the organizations sponsoring linked websites and we do not endorse the views they express or the products/services they offer.
- GSA, USA.gov, and Go.USA.gov are not responsible for transmissions users receive from linked government websites.
- GSA, USA.gov, and Go.USA.gov do not guarantee that other government websites comply with Section 508 (accessibility requirements) of the Rehabilitation Act.